Perfectly light fluffy, sponge cake with coconut cream.
For this summer, with seasonal fruits.
I’ve had lots of the adventures with baking vegan sponge cakes. Dozens of rules, several failures and misfires, many modifications and seeking for appropriate proportions.
I’ve included a recipe that I manage to have always done perfectly, it grows beautifully and quickly.
The combination of light white sponge cake and cream with coconut milk is the ideal.
280g cake flour /2 cups
120g sugar / ¾ cup
90g vegetable oil / ½ cup
200ml plant milk / 1 cup
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vinegar
pinch of salt
2-3 cans of coconut milk (solid, oily parts)
130g icing sugar (modify depending on the degree of sweetness you want to get) / ¾ cup
a lot of seasonal fruits
(raspberries, blueberries, currants, gooseberries, blueberries, but also mango or pineapple)
2. In a separate bowl, mix the milk, baking soda, a little of vinegar and oil.
Pour into a large bowl and stir quickly until a fairly loose weight.
3. Lay off your springform with the baking paper, pour the batter and bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes at 180 C degrees. / 360 F
4. Put the solid part (fat) of well chilled coconut milk (at least 24 hours in the fridge) into a deep bowl. Beat the milk to fluffy with mixer on high speed, adding sugar at the moment and tasting the level of sweetness. Put whipped coconut cream in the fridge to cool.
5. Cut baked sponge cake and cooled down cross-section in half. When the coconut cream will be very well chilled, you can begin to spread it over the cake.
6. Garnish with fruit, coconut, grated dark chocolate or a sprig of fresh mint. Enjoy it!